HAVE A LOOK AT OUR VOLUNTEERS PAGE FOR AN OPPORTUNITY TO GAIN MORE EXPERIENCE IN HERPETOLOGY WITH US
The Khamai Reptile Centre has a curator position open for a genuine reptile enthusiast. You will be working in one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa with a very active healthy reptile population. Reptile interaction will become a regular part of your daily routine.
Each day at Khamai presents something new and exciting
You will be working with a dedicated team of individuals at Khamai who puts in that extra effort to conserve reptiles, amphibian and arachnids how ever possible.
The Khamai Reptile Centre is only interested in the well being of reptiles and therefore does not get involved with the buying and selling of reptiles. Please understand that we are not looking for someone who is involved with such activities, only genuine conservation minded individuals should apply.
Following is a basic description of what we can offer:
Position as a second curator with option to advance to head curator.
R4000-00 for first two months (training) then per month R6000-00 plus tips about R1000-00 plus photo commission about R500-00.
Commission is also paid for any clientele promoted by the curators.
Salary will be reviewed every two years.
Opportunity of a life time for a reptile enthusiast
A curators duties will include conservation work such as outings to release reptiles back into the wild.
Your basic duties will include:
- Looking after captive reptiles at the centre.
- Removal and releasing of problem reptiles.
- Research and conservation work.
- Record keeping.
- Educational work with schools, universities etc.
- Working with volunteers.
- Helping with the making of animal documentaries.
- Doing reptile demonstrations.
- Working with the public.
- Fundraising and promoting.
- Construction and designing of new enclosures.
We are looking for:
- Non smoker.
- Sober habits.
- Hard working.
- Good communication skills and able to work with people.
- Grade 12 certificate.
- Must have done some form of further studies or experience:
- Special courses
- Worked at other snake parks
- Done work in conservation
- Research experience
- Some experience in keeping reptiles.
- Computer literate.
- Own transport with valid drivers licence.
Please E Mail your CV to
A part of being a curator at the centre will be to educate people, here Given, one of our curators shows a Boomslang to a military student group.
Assisting with veterinary work such as getting rid of paracites on this Black Mamba is part of the daily routine work done at Khamai.